Custom Search

Shish Barak (Meat Dumplings)




Shish barak is a very interesting Middle Eastern dish that seems to be cooked rarely by households. It's certainly not as popular as your traditional maklooba and mansaf dishes but it's a delicious meal that's loved in the Middle East. I think some Syrians might be offended when reading this post because they love shish barak. Let me just say that I used to hate when my made shish barak because I was a shallow boy who thought the meal was appalling. I felt like the meal was sloppy so I used eat labenah or zatar for breakfast, lunch and dinner when my mom decided to cook shish barak. When I found out that the shish barak sauce tasted like mansaf, I decided to give it a try and until this day, I regret the fact that I judged the meal by its cover.





Shish barak is made from homemade flour dough. The dough is cut into small circular parcels and laid flat on the cooking board to prepare it for the stuffing. The stuffing consists of ground meat, salt, and chopped onions. The stuffing is placed into each parcel and the parcels are shaped like pieces of ravioli. The meat dumplings are either fried or baked depending on each household's preference. In the mean time, a hot yogurt sauce is prepared that consists of plain yogurt, chicken stock, garlic and salt. The yogurt sauce is like a thicker version of the sauce used to prepare mansaf. Once the yogurt sauce is prepared, the dumplings are placed in the sauce. Its best to eat this meal when it's hot because the meal loses its taste when it's cool and the yogurt sauce dries up.

Country of Specialty:

Shish barak is very popular in the Sham (Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria). Syria and Lebanon are well-known for making amazing shish barak.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice blog!
    Blog Türk yemekleri:
    http://cahideninelleri.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I get a recipe for that? It looks so delicious and I'm such a fan of middle eastern dishes! I want to make a recipe of this to my dentists here in Greenville, for doing such a great job on my wisdom tooth extraction last time. They did such a great job in taking care of me, and so I want to give back to them by cooking this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Palestinians make an amazing shish barak as well since its pretty much done the same way whether in syria, palestine or lebanon. Turks have a similar dish called manti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makkah Market is one of the few super market offering the best middle east food like shish kebabs, falafel sandwich etc. in Philadelphia, with the excellent taste and quick assistance.

    Middle east food

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting post.. thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Attractive too. I want to eat it right now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting article! Thank you for sharing them! I hope you will continue to have similar posts to share with everyone! I believe a lot of people will be surprised to read this article!
    windows movie maker

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love home-made meat dumplings! it's our traditional family dish! Thanks for the recipe, I will try yours as well. Make sure to follow http://writingservicez.org/ when it is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today. Middle Eastern Food wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  10. Proudly serving the world's leading financial and asset leasing companies with intelligent software technology for more than four decades. NETSOL Technologies leverages its strong business capabilities to find unique solutions to the challenges and limitations imposed by each new project and offers solutions that fill the gaps in performance.

    ReplyDelete